Gone Girl (2014)

4:55 AM

Was Nick Dunne lying?


Directed by Oscar nominee David Fincher (The Social Network) and stars multi-Academy award winner Ben Affleck (Argo) and Oscar nominee (for this film) Rosamund Pike (Jack Reacher). Gone Girl is written by Golden Globe nominee Gillian Flynn and tells the story of Nick Dunne - 'With his wife's disappearance having become the focus of an intense media circus, he sees the spotlight turned on him when it's suspected that he may not be innocent' (Source Used - IMDB). Was Nick Dunne Lying?

Gone Girl is a movie that I was really looking forward to watching after I thoroughly enjoyed the book. However, the majority of this lives up to the old statement that 'the book is better'. The first act of this film is no where near as brilliant as the book is - I felt I wasn't that connected and that the tension and mystery wasn't built very well. However, the other 2 acts are just as good as the book - full of jaw-dropping moments and lots of intrigue and anticipation. Make sure you stick with this as it gets better as it goes on.


The story is fantastic. Gillian Flynn has really created something special. I have never watched or read anything like it which is really impressive. However, I do not feel that the film was as effective at creating mystery as the book was. I can't really think of any plot holes which is really good. As I'd read the book, I was prepared for the disappointing ending- I feel that it was rushed and random. The story didn't end nicely and I felt I'd ate the starters and the main course but didn't get desert (If that makes sense). 

Enough with the negatives, on a whole Gone Girl is fantastic. Rosamund Pike is fantastic as Amy Dunne as really plays both sides of Amy really well. I think Pike truly deserves her Oscar nomination and it should open so many doors for her career. Ben Affleck was also brilliant, he was a perfect casting for Nick Dunne and played the character fantastically. The supporting cast were all great - no one put on a weak performance. 

SPOILER (skip this part if you haven't watched the film): Now lets talk about that jaw dropping moment, when the audience learn that Amy is still alive - that scene/sequence is done fantastically! I was really impressed how the story unfolded so smoothy. Gone Girl is truly full of twists and turns which will have viewers that haven't read the book on the edge of their seats. 

The editing of the film was ok. Some of it became quite confusing but on a whole, it was done well. An eery atmosphere was also created quite well. I also loved how the film ended the way it started which was really clever and effective. 

Gone Girl is a spectacular film that has amazing performances from Pike and Affleck, a unique but thrilling plot and one of the biggest jaw-dropping moments in film history. Even though it isn't as impressive as the book, had I watched this flick in 2014, it would have made my top 10 of the year. Gone Girl is one you need to go and see!

4 STARS

Note - If you want a taste of Gone Girl before watching the film, go and watch Taylor Swift's video for 'Blank Space'. 


Have you seen Gone Girl? Did you think the final two acts were better than the first? What should I review next? - COMMENT BELOW

See You Soon!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. After reading the book, I couldn't wait to see this, it was ok I think with how the book was written it was made well, but did prefer the book in all honesty.

    Meme xx

    http://thedayinthelifeofmexoxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete