The 10 Worst Movies of 2014

2:01 PM

So 2014 has been and gone and we were provided with lots of good movies as well as many bad movies. In this post, I will be listing my 10 worst 2014 films that I have seen. You may not agree with my list but that doesn't matter as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. 

Here are a list of films that I didn't get to see in 2014 so they will not be included on any list that I post:

  • Gone Girl
  • The Penguins of Madagascar
  • Interstellar
  • Unbroken
  • A Million Ways to Die in the West
  • Transformers: Age of Extinction
  • Deliver Us From Evil
  • Edge of Tomorrow
For each film, I will include a profile of what other critics rated it (IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes and MetaCritic) and a summary for why I liked/disliked the film.
So lets get my 10 worst movies out of the way...

10. Oculus - This was a horror movie that I didn't find scary at all. I felt that the movie was trying to be clever but was just confusing itself whilst doing so. I also had issues with the ending as I found it quite disappointing. I have heard other critics describe the ending as making the film 'open to sequels' but I do not see this at all. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 74% 
IMDB: 6.5/10
Metacritic: 61/100
Average: 67/100
You may notice that this is quite a positive score..maybe Oculus just didn't agree with me and did with everyone else?

9. Sex Tape - This movie just felt cheap and of a very poor quality. I felt that it was created not to be entertaining but to make money. I like Cameron Diaz as an actress which does mean that the film isn't as low as it could potentially be on this list. I was really intrigued with the concept for this film as I felt the marketing was quite good. However, Sex Tape ended up being trashy and cheap. However, I do believe it is a 'so bad you like it' type of movie. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 18%
IMDB: 5.1/10
Metacritic: 36/100
Average: 35/100
It seems that other critics generally agree with me that Sex Tape was not a good movie. 

8. Annabelle - Now, this movie did have the occasional jumpy moment and was much more scarier that Oculus. Annabelle is also quite a scary character so the film had the potential to be very good. However, this movie felt rushed and that it was unnecessary. I really enjoyed The Conjuring so I was looking forward to seeing this but I couldn't help but feel disappointed. The third act of the film was also very cliche and unoriginal. Lets hope The Conjuring 2 will be a lot better than this flick. Note - this film (like Sex Tape), wasn't made to be entertaining, it was just made to keep the buzz of The Conjuring going and make the production company some more money.
Rotten Tomatoes: 29%
IMDB: 5.6/10
Metacritic: 37/100
Average: 41/100
My fingers are crossed for The Conjuring 2!



7. Dumb and Dumber To - At first, I thought I was enjoying this movie. However, about 20 minutes after the film had finished, I realised that I had just wasted 110 minutes of my life sitting through the most stupid movie of the year. I just feel that Carrey and Daniels are too old to be reprising their roles as these dumb characters. Just imagine Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill doing 34 Jump Street when they're in their 50s, it just wouldn't work! I feel that the supporting cast were not anything special either. Hopefully we won't get a third one of these in the future. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 28%
IMDB: 6.3/10
Metacritic: 36/100
Average: 42/100
My fingers are crossed for Dumb and Dumber 3 (for different reasons to The Conjuring 2)

6. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Ok, I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this one. I wasn't a huge fan of Rise of the Planet of the Apes but I decided to be hopeful and go and see this one . I just couldn't get into it. The scene at the start where the apes were talking to each other I found weird, overlong and boring. The movie then started to get better in the second act but fell apart again in the third act. I found the movie stupid and unrealistic. Maybe if I was to watch it for a second time, I might enjoy it a little more.
Rotten Tomatoes: 91%
IMDB: 7.8/10
Metacritic: 79/100
Average: 83/100
I'm probably one of the view people who have this on their 'worst of' list. 

5. Muppets Most Wanted - This may also be a controversial choice. However, this film just frustrates and angers me. I tried to watch it for a second time but had to turn it off 15 minutes in. I think that the magic and fun of the first movie has been lost. The songs aren't as good, the characters aren't as like able, the cameos aren't as good and ultimately, the story isn't as good. If I was to create a 'biggest disappointments of 2014' list, this would be at the top. I hated it. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 79%
IMDB: 6.5/10
Metacritic: 61/100
Average: 68/100
I kind of hope they make a 3rd Muppets movie so my final thoughts on them will have the possibility of being saved.

4. Tammy - I only had the pleasure (sarcasm) of watching this film in December. Thank goodness I didn't waste my money on going to the cinema to watch this and waited until its DVD release. The first half of this film was enjoyable and promising. The second half of the film was awful. The film had no structure and no plot. It was just like watching a reality TV programme - it was pointless. McCarthy is a like able actress but the rest of the cast are of a very poor quality. Another disappointment of 2014. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 24%
IMDB: 4.8/10
Metacritic: 39/100
Average: 37/100
A missed opportunity...the majority of critics seem to agree. 

3. The LEGO Movie - Yes, you are not reading this wrong...The Lego Movie is #3 on a worst of 2014 list. Most animated films are aimed at children but always feature elements that older people can enjoy. With this, I felt that it was aimed at 2 year old children. I felt that the stop-start animation was annoying. I felt that the song was not awesome at all. I even felt that the storyline was quite weak and unoriginal. The only part of the film that I did like was the credits because it was over! The movie got worse as it went on. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 96%
IMDB: 7.9/10
Metacritic: 83/100
Average: 86/100
I completely understand that this film is generally well loved but I just didn't like it - sorry!

2. Ride Along - The most annoying film of 2014. There is only so much of a man screaming and screeching that a human being can handle but this film gives you 100 minutes of it. Kevin Hart has to be the most annoying actor of 2014 - I don't care how many good movies he has been in, this one doesn't give him a positive reputation. I didn't laugh much whilst watching the film which is terrible when it is supposed to be a comedy. Annoying and Unfunny. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 17%
IMDB: 6.1/10
Metacritic: 41/100
Average: 40/100
And there is even more bad news...a sequel for this is in the making. 

1. The Inbetweeners 2 - I'm British and I am unaware of a British comedy film that has actually been funny? The first movie instalment of The Inbetweeners was ok (At most). However, this one was awful. The acting was bad, the jokes were bad (and occasionally cruel) and the plot was not structured at all. The third act of this film is so boring and dramatic, you wouldn't believe it was supposed  to be funny. When leaving the cinema, I heard many voices saying 'what a load of rubbish'...I agree. The worst film of 2014. 
Rotten Tomatoes: 71%
IMDB: 6.7/10
Metacritic: 55/100
Average: 64/100
I hope we never see an Inbetweeners 3. 

Ok, so that is my top 10 list of the worst films of 2014. Remember, it is my opinion only which doesn't necessarily mean that you won't like the films mentioned. I hope you have enjoyed my first blog post. In the next couple of days I hope to post my top 10 worst movies. I also have reviews of Maleficent and Spring Breakers that should be uploaded by the end of the month. In 2015, I hope to actually review more of the movies that I see on here and on Flixster. 

Follow me on Twitter (and get a sneak peak to my top 10 best films of the year): @mrdselenator
Please follow this blog if you want to read more film related posts from me!

Comment below your least favourite films of 2014!

See You Soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments