Fifty Shades of Grey (2015) - Guest Written

7:17 AM

Grey


Note - this review is ghost written by the usual writer for 'A Selenator's View' but the thoughts and opinions are from a guest blogger. 

Directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson (Nowhere Boy) and inspired by the hugely successful novel of the same name by E.L. James, Fifty Shades of Grey tells the story of a woman whose life changes forever when she meets handsome but sex-crazy, billionaire, Christian Grey. The film stars Dakota Johnson (Need for Speed) and Jamie Dornan (The Fall) in these roles that they will never be able to shred from their reputation. Can 50 Shades transfer its globally known but poorly written story into a masterpiece of a film? 


I am a fan of the books even if they do start to get a little repetitive - I enjoyed reading them. I think the story is quite original and thought that it was quite interesting to find out that it was originally a Twilight fan-fiction! However, I felt the film adaption was quite slow and never really takes off. I was waiting the whole time for something interesting or exciting to happen, but nothing really did. It got to the point where I was counting down the minutes  until it was over - I spotted quite a few people leaving before the end (I don't blame them). Unfortunately, 50 Shades was a very bland and boring film. I am utterly disappointed as I was really looking forward to watching it. I also felt that Christian Grey came across as a stalker in the film a lot more than he did in the book. 

I did like the soundtrack to the film and thought that the Beyonce tracks fitted in really well with the theme and tone of the movie. I'd buy the soundtrack but I don't know if I'd buy the DVD.

I thought that Dakota Johnson was very good in her role and was very believable. However, I can't say the same for her love interest, Christian Grey who was played by Jamie Dornan. I found him quite iffy - sometimes I liked him and at other times I thought he was miscast. I think an actor like Robert Pattinson would have done a much better job. However, the chemistry between the 2 leads however you could really tell that a lot more effort came from Johnson than Dornan. The romance was very believable though. The supporting cast were also not that amazing - none of them stood out to me. Rita Ora's role was very small but it was fun to see a British pop star expand their film career. 

The film is filled with cheesy dialogue. My least favourite scene was when the couple are in the gliders - this was very cliche and didn't really fit in with the rest of the film. The biggest appeal about this will be the highly spoken about sex scenes. However, 50 Shades (the film) plays it very safe and I have seen other films which don't use sex as their USP do these type of scenes a lot better. With the book I found that everybody could interpret the sequences differently and their imaginations could take them anywhere. However, with this, it was very black and white - your imagination couldn't really expand as you just have to go along with what is in front of you. These scenes were also not as intense in the book which was quite disappointing. 50 Shades of Grey just wasn't very sexy.

I feel really underwhelmed by 50 Shades of Grey - I expected a lot more from it. If you haven't read the books and want to watch the film - I'd advise that you skip the film and read the books. I'd have also preferred to see all the 3 books in one film as they do start to repeat themselves - however, I knew that this would have never been the case as they want to get as much money from this franchise as possible. 

Fifty Shades of Grey is a really disappointing film and is anything but sexy. Johnson puts on a good performance but unfortunately the same can't be said for most of the others in the cast. I won't be rushing out to watch number 2 (probably wait for the DVD) and I feel 50 Shades has been clouded by hype and just ended up being nothing special at all - slow, boring and bland. If you could relate it to a colour, it would be GREY. 

2 STARS

What did you think?



If you want to be a guest blogger for a film review, contact me! What did you think of 50 Shades of Grey? Were you disappointed? - COMMENT BELOW

See You Soon!
Fifty Shades of Grey
Rated 2/5 based on 1 reviews

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Yuck! I will never watch this film ever! It encourages rape culture and Christian ignores the use of the safety word and takes advantage of Ana without her consent. Say NO to this 'romantic film'!!!

    http://lychee-bubbles.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete