Love, Rosie (2014)

4:35 PM

I Hate, Rosie


Directed by Christian Ditter (The Crocodiles) and inspired by the best-selling novel by Cecelia Adhern 'Where Rainbows End', Love, Rosie tells the story of a couple who have been best friends from a young age, can they both get out of each others friend zones and make a relationship work between them? The film stars Lily Collins (The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones) and Sam Clafin (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire). Can Love, Rosie be a miracle of a rom-com and be original?

No.

So I watched this film on Valentine's Day - I have watched a rom-com on this day for 3 years in a row now. The first year I watched 'I Don't Know How She Does It' which was ok from the first viewing but was terrible the second time I watched it. Last year, I watched 'Girl Most Likely' which was bland and unfunny. This film kind of fits that pattern and was bland, unfunny, terrible, boring, cheesy and unoriginal. I didn't find much likeable about this. The plot was very cliche and has been told so many other times. I wasn't familiar with the book it is inspired by so I cannot comment on accuracies or whether the film was better than the book but all I can say is that I would not recommend this. Love, Rosie is really silly in places and generally unenjoyable. 

This film has so much potential and brands itself as a rom-com. It has a romance which is good - however, I found that I wasn't routing for the couple until after 1 hour and 20 minutes of watching the film - I was not captivated at all. However, there are very very few laughs in this. Some of them came from me just laughing at how silly it was. What normal person takes their child to school handcuffed to the head board of their bed? - surely you would call a parent or friend to take your child instead - this is just one example of the film trying to be funny but just makes fun of itself. I also can't use the excuse that the film has British humour so I won't understand because I am British and it still didn't appeal to me. 

This rom-com is just the way the characters in 'Friends with Benefits' criticise cliche rom-coms. It has an overuse of upbeat pop music to try and persuade the viewers that they are enjoying themselves. All because there is a catchy Beyonce or Lily Allen song, it doesn't mean the stuff you are actually watching is of a good quality!?

I also found both of the leads very unlikeable. I actually generally like Lily Collins as an actress but in this all she is is a pretty face- she is bland. I'm also unsure what her real nationality is but in all of her previous films, she has been American and I really don't like her British performance in this. Also, Collins never actually ages throughout the film even though she is supposed to be around 30 at the end?. The same applies for Sam Clafin who I don't think is great. He has been mediocre in The Hunger Games films that he has been in but never fantastic. I will give it to the two leads for having chemistry in the last 10/20 minutes of the film.

Love, Rosie is a film we've seen done a 1,000 times. It is silly, boring and unfunny. Collins is ok but Clafin is miscast and under performs. There are few laughs and the story is a formula that has worked many times before so works again but is just so predictable. Love, Rosie will probably appeal to tween girls but for anyone else - you should give it a miss. 

2 STARS
What did YOU think?




How did you spend your Valentine's Day? Have you seen Love, Rosie? What should I review next? - COMMENT BELOW

See You Soon!
Love, Rosie
Rated 2/5 based on 1 reviews

You Might Also Like

0 comments