Sisters (2015)

9:11 AM

They Don't Get Any Closer Than This
Sisters is directed by Jason Moore (Pitch Perfect) and stars Amy Poehler (Inside Out, Parks and Recreation), Tina Fey (Mean Girls, 30 Rock), Maya Rudolph (Bridesmaids, Grown Ups) and John Cena (Trainwreck, The Marine). "Two sisters decide to throw one last house party before their parents sell their family home". Sisters is a non-starter box office wise due to the release of Star Wars. However, will its quality suggest that is deserves to make more? Can a whole movie filled with Poehler and Fey be tolerable or will they get annoying?

So the trailer for Sisters really impressed me and I was really excited for the film. However, the trailer had the same impact on me that the trailer for Hot Pursuit did earlier this year. Hot Pursuit turned out to be one of the worst reviewed films of the year (even though I thought it wasn't that bad). I was worried that I was going to be disappointed in Sisters too - how wrong was I? I shouldn't have lowered my expectations at all because Sisters is one of the best comedies I have seen this year - it is funny throughout, has likeable leads and a solid plot. 

I can't really comment on acting in this film as Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are basically playing themselves. However, I did believe that they were sisters and I think they have the best chemistry that two characters in a film could have. Fey and Poehler were just really likeable in general and didn't become annoying or intolerable at any point. I have to say, my favourite of the two was Amy Poehler - I liked how she started off as the typical 'serious' character in a comedy film but then the roles were reversed once the party started. The supporting cast all did a really nice job - Maya Rudolph was very humorous and I thought her Game of Thrones references were very funny. My only minor query with her character is that she occasionally had an accent and then sometimes did not - I don't know whether that was deliberate or just bad continuity. John Cena was also very funny - he has definitely found his place in the comedy genre - he was good in Trainwreck and he is good in this. 

Sisters was very very funny - I laughed more at this than I did Bridesmaids, The DUFF or Trainwreck (all of which I really enjoyed). There is one particular scene in Sisters that had me laughing out loud - when they are both in the nail parlour and can't pronounce the beauticians name - this was hilarious! The film just had really charming funny moments - for example, when the sisters 'kissed' each other but actually just rubbed their bellies together. Sisters is packed full of laughs and is just a really enjoyable watch. I wasn't the only one in the screening laughing, at least everyone in the cinema, laughed out loud at least once - this suggests that Sisters can appeal to everyone. It was also nice to see that for once, all the funny parts are not just in the trailer - Sisters has a whole range of surprises that await audiences. 

The story for the film is your typical 'school reunion' style plot. I have to admit, there isn't really enough material there to create a full (just under 2 hour) film but to be honest, it works and is still really enjoyable. Sisters is one of them films that doesn't take itself too seriously so the audience shouldn't either. There are a few little twists and turns that are interesting and spice up the plot a little. Sisters is literally just one big party - who doesn't want that? I really liked how as the party went on, it got wilder and wilder - the foam and blue paint were all fun additions. Sisters is directed by Jason Moore who directed Pitch Perfect which is a film I really enjoyed - they have scored again with me with this film as Sisters is very very good.

Sisters is a surprising film that probably won't what it deserves this season (box office wise). However, that doesn't stop it from being led by two incredibly likeable leads - Amy Poehler and Tina Fey are fantastic here. It definitely wasn't a bad decision to let them star in and make a movie together. If you didn't like Hot Pursuit, don't worry because I think Sisters is far superior. Sisters is packed full of laughs and is completely hilarious even if the story shouldn't really work due to lack of material, it kind of does. I want to be released to Maura (Poehler) and Kata (Fey)! One of the best comedies this year which I would strongly recommend. 

4.5 STARS
A

What did you think of SISTERS? What is your favourite comedy of the year? - COMMENT BELOW

See You Soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments