The Best Films of 2015

7:52 AM

So 2015 has been and gone and we were provided with lots of good movies as well as many bad movies. In this post, I will be listing my 10 BEST 2015 films that I have seen. You may not agree with my list but that doesn't matter as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Also, I didn't get to see every film in 2015 - I saw around 80 films in cinema and then more on other platforms (DVD etc). This list is based on the films that I enjoyed the most in 2015 - ratings do not matter here - if a 4.5 is higher than a 5 then it is because the film has stuck with me more positively in the long run. I have also decided to only include films that had their initial wide release in 2015 (some films came out in the UK in 2015 such as Big Hero 6 & Into the Woods that would be classed as a 2014 film). 


For each film, I will include a profile of what other critics rated it (IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes and MetaCritic) and a summary for why I liked the film.


But first, here are a few honourable mentions - films that I thoroughly liked and weren't far from making the list: Mad Max: Fury Road, The Visit, The DUFF, Paper Towns, Pitch Perfect 2

10.  Furious 7 - This film is definitely the best in the franchise. Not only does it respectively pay tribute to Paul Walker, it is an extremely good, fun popcorn film. Some may call it cheesy, others may call it unrealistic but I thought Furious 7 was the first proper 'good time' movie of 2015 to be released - it kicked off the summer season with a bang! 
Bottom Line - "Furious 7 defines why the world likes this franchise so much - it is spectacular!"
Rotten Tomatoes: 81%
IMDB: 7.3/10
Metacritic: 67/100
Average: 74/100

9.  Sisters - Even though this was one of the last films I saw in 2015, it was still one of the best. It was one of my favourite comedies of the year - only one other could top it (more on that in a minute). The chemistry between Amy Poehler and Tina Fey was fantastic. The film had so many laugh out loud moments - even though the story was very basic, the film was so enjoyable and very good. 
Bottom Line - "Sisters is packed full of laughs and is completely hilarious even if the story shouldn't really work due to lack of material, it kind of does."
Rotten Tomatoes: 60%
IMDB: 6.5/10
Metacritic: 58/100
Average: 61/100

8.  Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - The only problem I have with this franchise in general is that I forget how good the films are after a few months. I am currently debating whether the film deserves to be on the list but then I read back my review and it brought back the feelings I had for it back in July.  Rogue Nation is smart, clever and just really entertaining. It is one of the more sophisticated blockbusters of the year but also one of the best. 
Bottom Line - "The plot is full of twists that you don't see coming and the action is just amazing."
Rotten Tomatoes: 93%
IMDB: 7.5/10
Metacritic: 75/100
Average: 81/100

7.  Spy - This was a really incredible film - it was progressive for female comedies, earring itself Golden Globe nominations for best picture and best actress, it was progressive for showing that males and females can work together successfully and it was just a very entertaining, laugh out loud film. One of the best things about Spy is that it is able to take itself seriously but also not take itself too seriously - this is a really good mix for a comedy that incorporates action elements. 
Bottom Line - "Spy is Superb, Perfect & Yes - you should go and see it!"
Rotten Tomatoes: 93%
IMDB: 7.1/10
Metacritic: 75/100
Average: 80/100

6.  The Martian This was probably one of the biggest surprises of the year for me. I wasn't a fan of Prometheus and I wasn't too keen on going back into space after Gravity and Interstellar - both heavy sci-fi films. However, The Martian is probably my favourite out of all of those films - it is lighter but also has deep moments and actually has a good consistent story. The visuals are also nice and Matt Damon is fantastic!
Bottom Line - "Ridley Scott returns to greatness with The Martian - this scientifically accurate blockbuster is something anyone and everyone should see."
Rotten Tomatoes: 93%
IMDB: 8.1/10
Metacritic: 80/100
Average: 85/100

5. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 - I have to say, this film was originally number 2 on my list but as time as gone on, his has slid down. I still stick by my original feelings for the film - it was very good and a satisfying conclusion. Jennifer Lawrence was amazing as always and this film concluded probably my favourite franchise ever. The only reason it goes down in my estimations is that moment at the end, I just always think that Julianne Moore could have done a better job. 
Bottom Line - "With outstanding performances, a great combination of politics and action, Mockingjay is a refreshingly dark conclusion to a YA movie."
Rotten Tomatoes: 70%
IMDB: 7.0/10
Metacritic: 65/100
Average: 68/100

4.  Star Wars: The Force Awakens - For someone who wasn't a Star Wars fan before December, The Force Awakens was a very good film and has converted me into someone who is almost obsessed with the franchise. Since the film, I have spent a little too much money on Force Awakens merchandise. The film was very good and was just as good the second time I watched it. I cannot wait for Episode 8, even though I am still apprehensive for Rogue One. 
Bottom Line - "All in all this is a fantastic film that has created sensational characters, added new depth to the universe, shot beautifully with amazing visual effects and just flows really nicely."
Rotten Tomatoes: 93%
IMDB: 8.4/10
Metacritic: 81/100
Average: 86/100

3.  Inside Out This is the best animated film I have seen in a long time. Not only that but Inside Out is one of the most original films that I have seen in a long time as well. Disney and Pixar did a fantastic job with this film - great characters, great voice acting and a really touching and entertaining narrative. 
Bottom Line - "Inside Out is excellently animated, extremely moving, beautifully scored, humorous at times with a story that is original and works."
Rotten Tomatoes: 98%
IMDB: 8.3/10
Metacritic: 94/100
Average: 92/100

2.  Jurassic World - This film has kind of seen a backlash since its record breaking run in the summer - this film was huge. Jurassic World was definitely the funnest film of the year and one that I probably enjoyed the most. I also developed an emotional connection to this film and I just really enjoyed it. I can't say enough good things about this film - it was epic. 
Bottom Line - "Jurassic World may just be one of my favourite movies of all time! Entertainment at its best"
Rotten Tomatoes: 71%
IMDB: 7.1/10
Metacritic: 59/100
Average: 67/100

1.  Sicario This film was excellent! It was so uncomfortable to sit through but it is one of the best films I have ever seen. The acting was outstanding and the cinematography was brilliant - I am routing for Sicario to win the Oscar in that category. Sicario is just really entertaining and is a rare 'Oscar' films that I can appreciate as entertaining as well as a good quality film. Sicario is the best film of the year. 
Bottom Line - "Sicario is the film of the year. It is uncomfortable, horrific but extremely effective - it sends chills up your spine. The film is acted fantastically across the board with standout performances from Blunt and Del Toro. The film is shot amazingly with a balance of beauty and horror. There is just nothing I can fault about this film. Sicario means hitman - this film is definitely a HIT."
Rotten Tomatoes: 93%
IMDB: 7.8/10
Metacritic: 81/100
Average: 84/100

Please Note - I loved films like Joy and Room but I saw them in 2016 and this post has been written for a few weeks so those films have not been included. 
What were your favourite films of 2015? - COMMENT BELOW

See You Soon!


You Might Also Like

0 comments