The Worst Films of 2015

9:53 AM

So 2015 has been and gone and we were provided with lots of good movies as well as many bad movies. In this post, I will be listing my 10 WORST 2015 films that I have seen. You may not agree with my list but that doesn't matter as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Also, I didn't get to see every film in 2015 - I saw around 80 films in cinema and then more on other platforms (DVD etc). This list is based on the films that I enjoyed the least in 2015 - ratings do not matter here - if a 2 is higher than a 1 on this list then it is because the film has stuck with me more negatively in the long run. I have also decided to only include films that had their initial wide release in 2015 (some films came out in the UK in 2015 such as Serena which would be classed as a 2014 release). 

For each film, I will include a profile of what other critics rated it (IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes and MetaCritic) and a summary for why I disliked the film.

But first, here are a few DIShonourable mentions - films that I had big problems with and weren't far from making the list: Pixels, Sinister 2, In The Heart of the Sea and three big disappointments for me this year were Tomorrowland, Spectre and Unfriended

10.  It Follows - This is definitely going to be my most controversial choice on this list as critics loved it - I absolutely didn't. It Follows was just too weird and I think that all of the creative choices didn't help to make a good horror film - who uses electronic music to create tension? I can understand how some people would find the concept scary but I just found it laughable - just a waste of time.  
Bottom Line - "It Follows starts on an intriguing high but deteriorates up until the final scene. The few scares are laughable and I didn't really feel much psychological horror about it either. The score was annoying but the acting was brilliant "
Rotten Tomatoes: 97%
IMDB: 6.9/10
Metacritic: 83/100
Average: 83/100

9.  Victor Frankenstein - This was a film where I left the cinema and just thought 'meh' - it wasn't anything special and I don't see any reason for why they bothered to make this film. It was a financial and creative flop. The acting was ok but I just think this is a film I will be glad to forget.   
Bottom Line - "The chemistry between McAvoy and Radcliffe is solid but everything else is pure mediocre - from the lazy story to the lacklustre visual effects. If this was a pitch for a new scientific experiment, I don't think it would be approved "
Rotten Tomatoes: 26%
IMDB: 6.3/10
Metacritic: 36/100
Average: 42/100

8.  Pan - This was a film that had a lot of potential and the first trailer for it actually looked quite good. However, then we were told it got pushed back and my estimations hit rock bottom - they were right to! Pan is an awful film with some silly choices and visual effects that aren't even that great. The acting is annoying - Pan needs to walk the plank. 
Bottom Line - "The script is its major flaw with some of the most stupidest lines to come out of films this year"
Rotten Tomatoes: 26%
IMDB: 5.9/10
Metacritic: 36/100
Average: 40/100

7.  Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse - This film actually started out quite promising but it was probably the most stupid film of the year - there was nothing appealing about it. Nothing was special about this film - the acting, the directing - it was all not even mediocre. I think the name says it all and I think you should just avoid it. I left the cinema with a headache. 
Bottom Line - "Poorly directed, rude, offensive, crude, messy and averagely acted, this film was obviously aiming for the toilet and missed. I don't really have much more to say on this film other than - it's not worth your money or your time"
Rotten Tomatoes: 44%
IMDB: 6.3/10
Metacritic: 32/100
Average: 46/100

6.  Fantastic Four - I actually had hope for this film from seeing the first couple of trailers. However, I was never a big fan of this superhero team in general and when I started to hear about all the issues they were having behind the scenes, I became vary wary. Fantastic Four is not fantastic, to be honest, it is far from it. This is probably the most unlikeable super hero team out there with some of the most uncharismatic acting from talented people! Horrible Four. 
Bottom Line - "Fantastic Four isn't visually pleasing and is probably the slowest superhero film ever."
Rotten Tomatoes: 9%
IMDB: 4.3/10
Metacritic: 27/100
Average: 26/100

5.  Terminator Genisys - Another awful awful film. I don't even see the appeal of this franchise - Arnold Schwarzenegger is an awful actor and he isn't supported very well by any of the newcomers in this. The film is just stupid and belongs in the trash.
Bottom Line - "Generally poor visuals, rocky acting, lack of originality and stupid characters"
Rotten Tomatoes: 25%
IMDB: 6.6/10
Metacritic: 38/100
Average: 43/100

4.  Chappie - I first became aware of this film after seeing a trailer for it when seeing Jupiter Ascending (which I actually think is a very underrated film) - Chappie is awful. I don't know how some people liked this film - it was lazily made with bad acting and inconsistent camera qualities. I can see what they were trying to go for with Chappie but I just think it didn't work out very well at all - another extremely stupid film of the year. 
Bottom Line - "Towards the end of the film a news report asks 'viewers' to report to the police if they see Chappie - I'd happily do so because I do not ever want to see this film or that robot ever again"
Rotten Tomatoes: 31%
IMDB: 6.9/10
Metacritic: 41/100
Average: 47/100

3.  The Boy Next Door - Out of the rest of the films on this list, I actually had hope for The Boy Next Door. I was in the mood for a solid thriller like The Call but this film just felt like it was made by an amateur. Jennifer Lopez can't save this movie and she is not helped out by some of the worst acting in film in 2015. The Boy Next Door would work well as a parody? It just can't be taken seriously - the tension is non existent and it just suddenly becomes extremely gory and gruesome towards the end. I have watched this film since seeing it at the start of 2015 and it didn't get any better. 
Bottom Line - "The Boy Next Door is dumb, unoriginal and hilarious (for all the wrong reasons)"
Rotten Tomatoes: 10%
IMDB: 4.6/10
Metacritic: 30/100
Average: 29/100

2.  Get Hard - Definitely the most offensive film of the year. I'm not usually someone who gets offended by a film but I think Get Hard steps way over the line - it doesn't matter who you are, this film will pick fun at you in a humiliating and unfunny way at some point. This film has established that if you see Kevin Hart is going to be in a movie - avoid it because he doesn't make good movies. If Hart and Ferrell are tolerable then their supporting cast are awful. Oh and just to point out, this is a directorial debut - Etan Cohen definitely hasn't started his directing career in the right direction. 
Bottom Line - "If you are at a DVD store and you have the choice to 'Get Hard' or Go Home...GO HOME - do not waste your money on this piece of garbage"
Rotten Tomatoes: 29%
IMDB: 6.1/10
Metacritic: 34/100
Average: 41/100

1.  Aloha - I had avoided seeing this film as it failed at the US box office so didn't get a very wide UK release. However, the film was part of inflight entertainment on my way back from holiday. I wish I hadn't have chosen to watch it. Aloha was awful - it was offensive, white-washed and just stupid and dull. None of this talented cast are put to good use. This is definitely the worst film of the year - a stupid love triangle of a story, offensive casting, acting that isn't special and just a really sloppy film all together. 
Bottom Line - "Aloha is in competition with Serena for being the dullest film of the year and they both have one common factor - Bradley Cooper. However, I don't believe Cooper is the problem as he and the cinematography are the best parts of the film. Stone's character is offensive and her acting is too much. McAdams fails to shine also. ALOHA (meaning goodbye)"
Rotten Tomatoes: 20%
IMDB: 5.5/10
Metacritic: 40/100
Average: 38/100

What were your least favourite films of 2016? - COMMENT BELOW

See You Soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments