The Hunting Ground (2015)

2:24 PM

Til It Happens To You
The Hunting Ground is directed and written by Kirby Dick (The Invisible War, Outrage). "An exposé of rape crimes on U.S. college campuses, their institutional cover-ups, and the devastating toll they take on students and their families". A critically acclaimed documentary that aims to be powerful, moving and part of the campaign - is it effective? 

My interest in The Hunting Ground only recently sparked from Lady Gaga's performance at the Oscars which I found incredibly powerful. I rented the documentary from iTunes on Tuesday and watched it - I have to say, I think this should be mandatory viewing. The Hunting Ground is all the things it aims to be - powerful, moving and I really think it is part of this movement and will have a big impact - a lot more people will be aware about what is really going on and that is very important.

I have to say, speaking about how it has been made and put together - I think The Hunting Ground is a little unfocused. I thought the first 50 minutes really focused on the stories of the survivors and then the last 50 minutes just jumped into an activist movement. I think this could have either been a 2 part mini-series or there needed to be a little more content to glue the two themes together. Other than that, I had no problems with The Hunting Ground - I thought the first half was more effective and had me captivated the whole 50 minutes. The second half was still good but it just wasn't what I expected from the documentary. 

The stories that were revealed were so shocking and I can't believe how American universities deal with people who have been assaulted - it was terrible to see! I actually had to pause this documentary a few times as the facts were angering me - it is so disgusting how people who have been sexually assaulted are treated by people who they go to to be helped! I have read numerous times that The Hunting Ground is based on journalism rather than real facts but I don't really care about this - I thought the piece we were given was extremely effective and I would recommend that anyone  and everyone watches it. 

I have to comment on Lady Gaga's song which I wasn't too keen on before the Oscars as I thought it was a little depressing. However, once you put the song into context, I have to take all of that back - the song is incredible and was definitely snubbed at the Oscars.

What happened to these people is devastating and the way they are acting now is inspirational. 

This has been quite a short review but I don't really want to go into the details as The Hunting Ground is so powerful and shocking that it is best to watch it with a clear mind. The Hunting Ground is a little unfocused but its subject matter is so moving and I think Dick has done such a tasteful job and has created a very effective documentary. The Hunting Ground isn't just about the activists who are against sexual assault, it is part of that movement and I have to recommend you watch it. The Hunting Ground is very powerful and effective - it should be mandatory viewing. 

4 STARS
B+

What did you think of THE HUNTING GROUND? How effective did you find the documentary? - COMMENT BELOW

See You Soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments