Eddie the Eagle (2016)

4:34 PM

Inspired By a Dream Come True
 Eddie the Eagle is directed by Dexter Fletcher (Sunshine on Leath, Wild Bill) and stars Taron Egerton (Kingsman: The Secret Service, Testament of Youth) and Hugh Jackman (X-Men: Days of Future Past, Prisoners). "The story of Eddie Edwards, the notoriously tenacious British underdog ski jumper who charmed the world at the 1988 Winter Olympics". Eddie the Eagle is a film about someone who is a big dreamer but not a big winner - is Eddie the Eagle a film that tries to aim too high?
Eddie the Eagle really caught me off guard because I was not expecting to like it as much as I did at all - this has to be one of the best films I have seen this year so far. It just gets everything right - it is charming, uplifting, inspirational and has a really nice message. The story may be 90% made up but based on the film we got, I really liked it. 

The story for Eddie the Eagle is a really moving and inspirational one. I thought it was really funny and just had a really charming feel to it. I'm not usually the biggest fan of British films but this is another one (along with Paddington) that I thoroughly enjoyed and found magical. I think the message of the film is also very strong and positive - as long as you try your best, you did good. I also like how it expresses the importance of the taking part - you don't have to win to be loved. Eddie the Eagle was just a really inspiring film. I liked seeing the journey of Eddie and how he got to where he got to - he got knocked down so many times but still managed to get up. The whole feel of the film was just really uplifting - if you want to be happy, watch this! 

The acting was also incredibly strong. Taron Egerton became Eddie the Eagle - I think this role really showed his diversity as an actor as he was really strong and pretty unrecognisable. Egerton helped to make Eddie likeable and charming - a terrific performance! Hugh Jackman also did a very good job - even though his character was completely made up, I really liked him and thought he was also very likeable. There were practically no other important characters so it was important that these two were strong and they were incredibly strong. The acting in this film is superb. 

I don't usually notice the soundtrack of films but I thought Eddie the Eagle was scored fantastically - it was scored in quite a unique way and I just think it added to the general positive mood that the film created. 

There were a few minor issues with this film though - I thought that the scene where Jackman jumps whilst smoking and his everyday clothes was very bizarre and didn't really fit in with the rest of the film - it came across very silly and I just don't understand why this scene was included. 

Spoilers
The final 90m jump was a breathtaking scene to watch and should be something that I will remember for a long time. When Eddie lands, shivers were sent up my spine and I just felt really happy for him - I think this proves how good Egerton was as you really connect with his character.

Eddie the Eagle is one of those films that is an incredibly pleasant surprise. It is also one of those films that you really like just because it is really likeable and you can't explain why. The film left me with a smile on my face and in a very good mood. The story was inspirational and the message was refreshing and very positive. Egerton proves he is deservingly one of the fastest rising stars in Hollywood today - he is incredibly talented. Jackman plays a fictional character but puts on a very strong performance regardless. The soundtrack is brilliantly scored and the final scene is very effective and moving. Eddie the Eagle is a film you may not want to see but I think you should definitely see it - one of the most likeable films I have seen. A crowd pleaser. 

4.5 STARS
A

What did you think of EDDIE THE EAGLE? Did you find it uplifting? - COMMENT BELOW

See You Soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments